Matravasti or small enema is performed to normalise the deranged Vata In the digestive tract. It promotes strength and restores general well-being. It is also used as a preparation for other therapeutic enemas.
About 50 – 120 ml of medicated oil or ghee is chosen according to your condition and is administered/ injected via the rectum. This can be given as a standalone enema therapy or alternately with a decoction enema.
This treatment is performed after food.
The small enema usually does not clean your bowel. You may require to use the toilet once or twice either within a few minutes or sometimes only on the next day. Do not try forcefully to hold or evacuate the enema oil. However, it is good if the oil stays in for about 30 minutes.
It pacifies the Vathain lower part of the body and lubricates the lining of the large intestine. It is a preparation stage for KashayaVasti (decoction enema). It strengthens the spine, lower part of the body and the nervous system.
- You will be requested to lie on your left side with your left hand under your head and your right leg flexed.
- First, the anal sphincter area will be lubricated with oil for easy insertion of the enema nozzle.
- Then the enema nozzle will be inserted slowly and gently into the anal canal.
- As the enema nozzle is inserted into your anus, you may open your mouth and breathe out.
- After the enema liquid has completely gone in, you will be requested to lie on your back.
- Your legs will be flexed and extended three times and a light massage will be done over your abdomen and feet.
- The urge to release may occur 2 -3 times in the day.
- Make sure that you have taken your meal before the procedure.
- Be relaxed during the entire process.
- The more relaxed you are, the easier the process will be for your body.
- Do open your mouth and breathe out as the enema nozzle is inserted, this will make the process easy for you.
- Do lie down and take rest after the process and stay in the room for two hours after the treatment.
- Do not exert yourself too much to retain the medicine or eliminate it; let it happen naturally.
- Do not engage in any of the strenuous activities like walking, swimming for two hours after taking the small enema.
"Pancha""karma" literally means the five detoxification treatments in ayurveda which are done to remove the accumulated toxins and mucus (Aama) from the body. These treatments include -
Nasyam - nasal cleaning
Removes mucus above the shoulder level of the body.
Vamanam - therapeutic vomiting
Clears toxins from the chest and the upper part of the body
Cleans the intestines.
Matra/ KashayaVasti - medicated enema with oil /decoction.
The two types of vasti (enemas) are the definitive ways by which we can clean the large intestines.
Raktamoskshana – bloodletting
Removes Aama from the blood.